Hi, my server machine crashed, but I did backup before that time. After installing NGL 3.1 on a new server machine, and restored backup on the new NGL, everything worked fine but no user could log in, only NGL default Admin could log in. For other users, librarians inclusive, "Invalid User" would return upon a login attempt. If I use the default NGL Admin account to log in and search for individual users, I would see all their account details intact. When I tried to change their passwords, they still got the "Invalid User" message upon logging in. And when I tried to delete individual user accounts so I could create new ones for them, I got the "Critical Error" Message.
This is not the first time I am restoring backup successfully, but this is the first time I am getting this kind of error.
Kindly help out please. This is urgent, as work in the library is currently on hold.
Both previous and current installations are Version 3.1.
Attached to this post are two images. The one showing "Invalid User" is the error message we get when a librarian is trying to log in. Then, the one showing "Critical Error" is the error message that returns when I try to delete that user, so I can create a new account for them.
I created a new password for that particular user and other users having same problem, but they still could not log in. I still got the "Invalid User" error. Also, I discovered the patrons don't have any Circulation history, so, that may not have been the reason I could not delete their record. I also forced-edited the users' records, but still could not log in or delete their records.
Secondly, I created new (dummy) users, and found the new users could not log in. I also got the "Invalid User" error message. But when I back-dated the User Validity Start Date, the new users could log in, and I also was able to delete their records.
Thirdly, I got two old users to try to log in, and surprisingly, they logged in successfully. So, I realized the "Invalid User" thing was not applicable to all old users. While some are still able to log in, some others cannot. What exactly the problem is, I can't pinpoint for certain.
Though, I had login problems with a few users after doing what you suggested, I figured out the reason for the problems. I realized that we have several Patron Categories, and they all have different privileges. So, the database saw some of those privileges as typical of a library "Patron", and other privileges as typical of "Staff of Library", hence, the conflict. For instance, when I chose "Academic Staff" as the Patron Category of one user, and also chose "Staff of Library" as the User Type for same user, the user could not log in from the librarians' end, but could log in from the OPAC end. This is because we initially configured the "Academic Staff" Patron Category to function as "Patron", not "Staff of Library". So, even when "Staff of Library" was chosen for that user during account creation, the "Academic Staff" privileges worked against the successful login of the user from the librarians' end. And when the Patron Category was changed from "Academic Staff" to "Circulation Staff", which we configured to function as "Staff of Library", everything worked fine.